Monday, August 19, 2013

Back to School Read Aloud & Writing Activity

I'm almost ready for school to start on Wednesday.
Tuesday is meetings with a little time
in our classrooms.
 
I wanted to quickly share a read aloud I'll
be using with my class this year.
 
How I Spent My Summer Vacation
by Mark Teague
It's a rhyming story about a kid
reading his back to school essay.
The essay starts out realistically.
Then he tells about being captured by cowboys
and what he experiences with them.
 
After we read the story,
I'm going to give my class a chance to tell
about their summer.
 
We will use this sheet as a guide.
They will write their story in the bottom spaces
and draw pictures in the top.
I will be giving them the option of writing
about a real event or a make believe one.
 
Have you ever read this story to your class?
What activities did you use with it?


1 comment:

  1. Hi Jeanette. This story is the first selection in our Scotts Foresman basals so we do read it every year. I do love the book and the author - Mark Teague - he has another book I adore - Pig Sty. I like to read that at the beginning of the year, and then I tell the kids they have to clean their rooms for homework - gets lots of brownie points with the parents. Plus as a parent myself, I would LOVE my kids to clean their rooms - still doesn't happen - oh, well!

    ReplyDelete