Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Fun Science Lab Coats

Halfway through the second week of school.
Check.
Fantasy football team drafted.
Check.
Spend lots of time sharing ideas on my blog.
No check.
 
I know that many of you are just as busy
and that makes me feel better!
 
Today I wanted to quickly share a science lab coat idea.
This year, my team and I are trying to add
more excitement to science.
One thing we are planning is monthly science experiments.
To get the kids excited about this,
we gave them a chance to make science lab coats.
 
Everyone brought in a used t-shirt.
It could be a white or light colored shirt.
If the shirt had a logo on the outside,
we just turned it inside-out.
 
I gave the kids some time to decorate their shirts.
My class used permanent markers.
They placed their writing journal in the middle of the shirt
so the markers wouldn't bleed through.
The other teachers just used regular markers
and they turned out fine.

When the decorating was complete,
I cut the front of the shirts right down the middle.
Then we had....
LAB COATS!
We've already done one experiment
and the kids were so excited to wear the coats.
I even had one kid bring in a pair of goggles.
 
Hope your week is going well!
 
 


2 comments:

  1. Brilliant idea! I wonder if my 5th graders would like doing this? Good luck on Fantasy Football...somehow I'm on THREE leagues...yikes!
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
  2. I seriously love this idea! What a great way to get them into their role as scientists!

    -Krista
    The Second Grade Superkids

    ReplyDelete