Saturday, February 2, 2013

Multiplication and Division Word Problems

We started multiplication and division last week in third grade. Our math series has the students working on facts and word problems at the same time. My students do well with facts, but I think we moved too fast with the word problems. So this week I'm slowing it down. I started by making two anchor charts - multiplication and division.


photo1                       photo


We are going to fill in the key words for each operation.  Then we will review what they mean and the symbols that are used for each one.


I also made some fun activities for the kids.  I have 8 task cards that I will hang up around the room.  Each card has either a multiplication or division story.  I'll have my students write down if the problem is multiplication or division.  Then we will go over the problems together.  I try to make the stories funny so that they aren't boring like the ones in the workbook.  I usually will have animals eating pizza or teachers in the school doing funny things.  I like seeing the smiles on the kids' faces as they read the stories.


After we go over the problems, I'll have the students complete a worksheet with a few problems on their own.


The next day we are going to review the charts.  I'm thinking of making a foldable for both multiplication and division for us to add to our math journals.  I'm then going to have the students complete a sort.  They will need to read the problem and then place it in the correct category - multiply or divide.  Once I see that they sorted correctly, they will have to solve the problems on the sort card.


I know my students will like this type of practice because they stories are a bit different and they aren't just filling in a worksheet.


If you are interested in these activities, you can find them at my Tpt store.


multiplication division word problem task cards


Hope you have a nice weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment