Sunday, March 3, 2013

Bubble Gum Fun

Gum!  That was the exciting part of our Thursday afternoon.  Our school's librarian read the book, "Pop!: The Invention of Bubble Gum" by Meghan McCarthy.

She had a great lesson about facts and opinions.  The kids really got into the book.  You should have seen their excitement when they found out they would have a chance to test out the bubble blowing capabilities of various types of gum. 

We partnered up the kids and everyone got a baggie with four different types of gum: mint chewing gum, Hubba Bubba, two gumballs and Dubble Bubble (the rectangular one).  There was also a recording sheet for each student.  We went over the rules of having gum in the classroom and a quick tutorial on how to blow a bubble. 
Then we blew bubbles! 
 
And we recorded our findings.
 
I wish you could see all the pictures I took that day and the eyes on the kids' faces. Some of the best pictures were when the kids didn't know how to blow a bubble and were trying really hard.  We had a blast!
 
Here is a recording sheet that you can use with this activity:

I have it as a freebie on Tpt.  I've also included different sheets depending on how many types of gum you use.  
 
Let me know if you use this activity or have another fun gum activity. 
Have a great week!


 




2 comments:

  1. I LOVE this and I know my kiddos would have a blast. Have you seen the cute craft on Pinterest on writing a how-to for blowing a bubble? You make a cute craft and use a pink balloon for the bubble.

    We sometimes use gum to help us stretch out words. =)

    I am happy to be your newest follower. I would love for you to hop over and visit when you get the chance.

    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow your kids must have loved this activity!! So cute!! I'm your newest follower!

    ✿Sue✿
    Science for Kids Blog

    ReplyDelete